The Womens Council takes an active role in support of the Cleveland Museum of Art. Individually and collectively, our members engage with the museum by participating in educational programs, volunteering, and providing financial support. Working in partnership, the Womens Council assists the museum in fulfilling its dual roles as one of the world’s most distinguished comprehensive art museums and as one of northeast Ohio’s principal civic and cultural institutions.
The Womens Council was organized in 1941 as the "Junior Council" at the Cleveland Museum of Art. Since the Council's inception, 36 women each have served two-year terms as chair. Membership has grown from 25 to about 70 in the 1950's, then to about 300 in the 1980's, and currently to more than 600. Dues in the 1940's were $2; today, it stands at $150.
To attract and nurture a community of engaged members who support the mission of the Cleveland Museum of Art to create transformative experiences through art.
To foster meaningful relationships with each other, the community, and the museum through educational programming, volunteering, and fundraising.
An interested new member is nominated by existing members of Womens Council, and the candidate is expected to offer her time, skill, and expertise for the benefit of the Cleveland Museum of Art, after being accepted into Council.
For more information about the Womens Council or the Cleveland Museum of Art, please contact the Member Program Coordinator, Alexandra Czajkowski.
Member Program Coordinator,
Office of Philanthropy & External Relations
The Cleveland Museum of Art